I first came to Greece over 20 years ago. Then, as now, I find blissful joy in wandering aimlessly, exploring, and taking photos of the white-washed houses, staircases and doorways, flower pots, turquoise domed-churches, and the food of course! Seeking out authentic food is my most passionate mission of all.
The stunning white villages against the striking blue Aegean Sea provide a magnificent backdrop from which to begin a journey of discovery ~ our history, Greek food, culture and tradition. We start this journey at the base of the ancient high city, and watch history unfold as we enter the time capsule. The view of Athens as seen from roof-top restaurants, and the Acropolis high above, is simply magnificent ~ a sprawling, yet picturesque undulating city surrounded by rolling hills, gradually flattening out into the sparkling blue sea. The short stay in Athens is followed by comfortable stays on the Cycladic islands of Santorini and Sifnos.
Greece has six groupings of islands, plus Crete and mainland Greece. The choice is utterly overwhelming, and all are wonderful and interesting in their own right. Why the Cyclades? With their dazzling white-washed houses, twisting cobbled alleyways, blue-domed churches, hilltop windmills, and stunning beaches, the Cycladic islands offer the quintessential Greek island experience, they are everyone’s image of the perfect Greek island. Santorini simply cannot be missed, and Sifnos is charming & quaint.
Athens & the Greek Isles
October 2 – 16, 2015 (Completed)
May 19 – June 1, 2017 (Full)
(Booking open as of March 1, 2018)
Please contact Karen to be added to list
Privately guided visit to the modern Acropolis Museum
Privately guided city of Athens & Acropolis tour
Ancient Classical Greece: Day trip & privately guided tour of Delphi,
home of the Oracle of Apollo
Culinary Secrets of Downtown Athens ~ Privately guided “insider” food & eating tour
Private dinner in the home of a native Greek family, just outside of Athens
Volcanic island of Santorini in the Aegean Sea
Guided visit of the Akrotíri excavations on Santorini
Cultural Village “Santorini of the Past” ~ Locals explain agricultural & wine production
& traditional way of life on the island
Picturesque village of Oía
Quiet, traditional island of Sifnos
White-washed villages, cobbled alleys, churches with turquoise domes and beautiful bell towers
Private half-day outing with Sifnos native
Chrysopigi Monastery & crown jewel village of Kastro
Ancient Mycenanean acropolis Agios Andreas archaeological site
Remote fishing village & dining at a restaurant owned by family of fishermen
For more information, visit our daily itinerary description.
Trip price: $4,385 per person (based on double) Includes: 14 nights lodging in beautiful, high quality accommodations (1 night on arrival in Athens, 4 nights in Santorini, 5 nights in Sifnos, 4 final nights in Athens), 10 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 7 dinners, airport and port pick-up & return (roundtrip taxi transfers between airport/port and Athens hotel), rental vehicles on Santorini & Sifnos, full auto insurance, fuel, tolls and parking, domestic flight and ferries to/from Greek islands, privately guided tours & visits, customized food & restaurant itinerary in Athens, carbon offsets for international flight, and all highlights listed above. LAND PACKAGE ONLY. Excludes: International flights to/from the US or other European city, transportation/taxis other than specified above, tips for guides, and mandatory comprehensive trip insurance, the price of which will be tallied upon booking, and is priced per person as follows: For travelers between the ages of 35-59 $208, 60-69 $285, or 70-74 $348.
- Tour limited to 8 travelers; reservations honored on a first come, first served basis.
- This is a LAND package beginning and ending in Athens, Greece; price does not include international airfare to/from the US or any European city other than Athens.
- Allow 16 days total travel time. When booking your flight, please note the following:
– Outbound flight: Due to overnight flight, you will need to depart one day prior to desired arrival in Greece (ie. depart USA on May 18 to arrive Athens on May 19)
– Inbound flight: Departs Athens and arrives USA same day.
- You have the option to arrive Athens a day early at your own expense. Notify me as soon as possible to ensure that your room is booked for this additional day.
- Travelers must consult me before finalizing flight plans in order to synchronize arrival & departure times at Athens airport.
- Please note that domestic flights & ferries have been budgeted at current market prices, and if the price increases, you agree to pay the amount of the increase (this specifically refers to the flight from Athens to Santorini, ferry from Santorini to Sifnos, and ferry from Sifnos to Athens).
Read more on Travel with Karen
Travel to the Mediterranean
with Culinary Instructor Karen Gros
Exclusive tours for small groups of 8 people
Private activities & excursions focusing on food, tradition, history, culture, and people
Unique experiences not available elsewhere …
Become acquainted with locals, meet great chefs, travel in comfort & beauty